Confederate History & Heritage Month: The Lewis Llewellyn Cato House, 823 West Barbour Street, Eufaula, Alabama
Like all good clubs, the Eufaula Regency needed a meeting place, and they found it at 823 West Barbour Street, at the home of Lewis Llewellyn Cato, one of the many prominent Eufaula lawyer-slavemasters.
From the National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form, prepared in December of 1970:
"The Cato Home was the setting for some of the most influential secessionist meetings held in Alabama during the late 1850's. It was the scene of a great celebration when Alabama seceded from the Union.
Lewis Llewellyn Cato, an attorney at law and solicitor in chancery, was known as "the great secessionist." A friend of Yancey's, he was a member of the Eufaula Regency. Lewy Dorman in his "Party Politics in Alabama from 1850 through 1860" states, "The most advanced step looking toward secession came from the fire-eaters of Southeast Alabama under the leadership of the Eufaula Regency. It was composed of a strong Southern rights group, principally lawyers from Eufaula." He continues, "They were the most consistent secessionists in the State.""
|Front view of the Cato House. (Image courtesy of the Library of Congress)|
|Rear view of Cato House. (Image courtesy of the Library of Congress)|
Not surprisingly, we find that the home was built on the backs of African slaves.
Restoring the honor!